Dallas - Line Cook
Manage all aspects of the food production for all outlets and banquets, including food preparation according to the description. Adhere to sanitation practices.
AVERAGE % OF TIME
- 80% Prepare food items for customers using a quality predetermined method in a timely and consistent manner.
- 15% Set up station with predetermined mise en place required to service all banquet functions.
- 5% Practice sanitation and safety daily to ensure the total customer satisfaction.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with hotel rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel’s facilities. Employees who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Consult with Assistant Banquet Chef on a daily basis as well as with other departments that are directly related to the Food & Beverage Department.
- Participate in long range planning.
- Participate, support and make recommendations for ongoing hotel programs with continuous improvement in networking.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Ability to read recipes and follow their instructions.
- Ability to create appropriate buffet displays up to five to six feet in height and the ability to set up, maintain and breakdown same.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature generally is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10°F) and kitchens (+110°F), possibly for one hour or more.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for up to five hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and otherwise transport up to 50 pounds to every area of the kitchen. Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, three to four feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various kitchen machinery to include slicers, buffalo chopper, grinders, mixers, and other kitchen related equipment.
- Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e., cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
- Ability to create, build, handle and dismantle displays up to eight feet high, including ice carvings.
- The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other locations of the hotel on a timely basis.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and lift up to 50 pounds on a regular and continuing basis.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 pounds occasionally.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near and color vision and depth perception.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine, electric typewriter, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
High school or equivalent education required.
Certified Cook level or higher.
Licenses or Certificates
Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per standards.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.