Chicago - Sales Manager
Responsible for sourcing, booking and servicing business for the hotel including rooms only, group, conference, wedding, catering, and other business in predetermined geographical industry markets contributing to established sales goals.
- Is familiar with and proficient in all aspects of the hotel; front and back of the house areas, location of the meeting rooms, location of other departments and numbering of guest rooms in order to direct Hotel guests and/or visitors.
- Is familiar with hours of operation and format for all Hotel outlets, in order to answer and direct guest and visitor inquiries as appropriate.
- Ability to operate Hotel phone system, voice mail and all phone features to specified standards.
- Maintains Hotel’s customer service standards and the Warwick mission as outlined in the employment handbook.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all Hotel and departmental policies and procedures, including emergency, grooming and disciplinary procedures.
- Actively generates new business through implementation of a territory plan to include prospecting, cold calling, qualifying, proposal development and presentation, negotiating and closing the account.
- Maintain or exceed sales goals; contribute to budget and all revenue areas; room nights and average rate.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of current market conditions, industry changes, and competitive positioning to be shared with the sales team and leadership.
- Increase Brand awareness by building and maintaining key travel industry relationships.
- Represent the organization at local and regional business travel industry events as required.
- Set up site inspection tours with clients; tour client throughout property highlighting benefits and features.
- Use your property’s computerized sales management system/POS to manage the hotels business, including (but not limited to) generating reports, entering business, blocking space and building accounts.
- Pursue opportunities in untapped or under-utilized markets for Individual transient sales efforts and including Corporate, Travel Agencies, FIT/ Wholesale market segment focus.
- Attend weekly sales meeting.
- Ensure Opera account files are kept organized and current with all required information.
- Utilize standardized form letters for tentative/definite bookings, thank you letters, cancellations and re-bookings. Ensure appropriate letters are sent and filed accurately.
- Where appropriate, entertain clients in hotel outlets to sell hotel facilities. Adhere to all accounting policies regarding payment.
- Monitor changes to all contracts; ensure that accurate information is communicated to respective departments on a timely basis in order to best serve the client. Resolve discrepancies with appropriate staff.
- Communicate to various department designated VIPs.
- Liaise with appropriate department managers any special client requests.
- Upon receipt of signed contract, review all points detailed in contract with client.
- Be familiar with all Hotel Services/features and local attractions/activities to respond accurately to any guest inquiry.
- Monitor and handle guest complaints to ensure their satisfaction.
- Contact clients after scheduled functions to ensure their satisfaction and to solicit re-bookings.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate within the department and among other departments.
- Monitor, maintain and distribute lost business report following hotel standards. Ensure appropriate pieces of lost business are traced for future solicitation.
- Responsible for obtaining deposit of the total estimated bill to be collected at the designated time. Adhere to sales terms and conditions.
- Create an Opera account file for each new client with all required information detailed.
- Create and/or manage a physical file folder for each group, event, and active account.
- Block rooms/function space in Opera; ensure space is confirmed.
- Meet and exceed established sales average rate goals/goals as set by direct manager.
- Knowledge of room and floor diagram/plans.
- Assist in the preparation of Annual Marketing plan.
- Participate in pre and post conference meetings as scheduled.
- Assist with department training as needed.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Coach and counsel employees and managers.
- Advise General Manager and Executive Committee of potential human resources opportunities.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with community leaders.
Specific job knowledge, skills and abilities
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments.
- Ability to focus attention on detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to accurately input and access data in computer system.
- Ability to ascertain client’s needs and provide service to ensure client’s satisfaction.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality of all guest and pertinent hotel information.
- Ability to work well without direct supervision.
- Ability to work cohesively with other departments as part of a team.
- Ability to execute sales and negotiation skills with the ability to close accounts
- Ability to be successful developing and delivering presentations, both independently and as part of a cross-functional team.
- Ability to communicate orally, written and interpersonally to effectively manage internal and external relationships
- Ability and knowledge to successfully source, book, plan, and execute all aspects of a wedding event. Must have familiarity with wedding planning.
- Ability to sit for up to 8 hours per day in a stationary position with limited movements.
- Ability to focus on a computer screen for up to 8 hours per day.
- Visual acuity is necessary to ensure the completion of work.
- Using manual dexterity, input data into computer accurately.
- Ability to verbally communicate; ability to use auditory skills to ascertain guest or employee needs.
- Ability to reach and stretch across body to retrieve/answer phones and take messages.
- Ability to ambulate in order to move around property.
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Sensory Demands: Requires the use of all five senses.
- Any combination of education and experience or any other combination of education, training or experience skills and abilities. Bachelor’s degree and/or 2+ years of hotel sales experience preferred.
- One to three years of extensive sales experience required.
To apply please send your CV or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org