We’ve asked our relaxation and wellness experts at Amber Spa in Warwick Paradise Island - Bahamas All-Inclusive to share a few of their spa secrets. Find out how to bring some island vibes to your tribe, and a little of the Bahamas to your mamas on Mother’s Day.
Setting The Mood
Sometimes, our moms just need a little alone time to unwind. Because we’re all staying home and cannot pay a visit to the Warwick Paradise Island right now, we are bringing this small slice of adults-only resort to your home. Here is a guide to recreate our Bahamian spa experience:
The first step to an at-home spa experience is greeting Mom in the spa lobby. Think of a name for your spa (you can even create a sign) and transform your living room by tidying up all toys and clutter, turn on some soft lighting (maybe just a lamp or two), and ask dad to find a soothing soundtrack online to play in the background.
Welcome mom to her at-home spa experience with a choice of herbal teas, fruit and mint infused water (ask an older child or Dad for help to chop up some pineapple, limes, lemons or cucumber) and her favourite sweet treat. Then Invite mom to change into a fluffy robe, and to follow you into the bathroom.
At Amber Spa, guests can indulge in a Private Bath Soak, complete with Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Recreate this on Mother’s Day this by drawing as deep a bath as possible, laying out chocolate covered strawberries (make these the day before) and pouring Mom a chilled glass of Champagne, or another sparkling beverage that she enjoys. Ask Dad or another adult for help to light some candles in the bathroom- at Amber Spa our signature scent is lemongrass, but you can also substitute mom’s favourite.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Select the most delicious looking strawberries you can find. Make sure they are very dry (dry on a paper towel or dishcloth) before dipping into the chocolate. Ask an older person to assist with melting the chocolate.
Begin by placing a wide pan with about one inch of water on the stove. Put chopped chocolate (milk, dark or white- choose Mom’s favourite) in a heatproof bowl that is placed in the water.
When the water starts to simmer, turn off the heat and allow the chocolate to melt. Be very careful not to drop water into the chocolate when you remove it from the pan. Then hold the strawberries by the stalk and dip into the melted chocolate. Set on a plate for the chocolate to harden.
Here is the recipe for bath salts to prepare in advance for mom’s special soak:
Ingredients for 12 ounces or 340g:
- 1 cup or 250 ml Epsom salt
- 1/2 cup or 125 ml baking soda
- 5 - 10 drops essential oil
- 1/4 cup or 60 ml sea salt
Then leave her to bathe in peaceful bliss for at least 30 minutes. Remember to be very quiet during this time so that mom is not disturbed- try reading a book, watching a TV show with headphones on or playing a quiet game.
After her restorative bath, allow mom to choose a pampering face mask that can all be made with simple ingredients from the kitchen or grocery store. Here are our favourites:
Hydrating Banana Mask
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Peel and mash the banana and stir with the other ingredients.
2. Apply the mask to clean skin and allow to hydrate the face for 30 minutes before rinsing off.
Revitalizing Tomato and Cucumber Mask
- 1/2 Ripe Tomato
- 1/4 Cucumber
1. Blend the tomato and peeled cucumber together.
2. Apply the mixture to the face in a gentle circular motion and leave on for 15 minutes as the natural astringents revitalise and tighten the pores before rinsing,
Relaxing foot or hand massage
Finish mom’s special spa afternoon with a relaxing foot or hand massage. Here are five tips to help:
1. Select her favourite lotion or oil for the massage.
2. Put a small amount in your hand and start applying slowly from tips of her toes or fingers to ankle or wrist.
3. Move back down towards the toes or fingers. This step can be repeated three times.
4. Massage each toe or finger by pulling gently, one toe or finger at a time, sliding back town the base of the toe or finger and repeating three times.
5. Squeeze the foot or hand with a warm towel to remove any lotion that may be left on foot or hand. Repeat the steps on the other foot or hand.
Finally, why not gift mom with a jar of special homemade scrub so that she can remember her spa day in the months to come?
Coffee Sugar Scrub
The benefits of this scrub include promoting healthy circulation (blood flow), which in turn can help reduce the appearance of cellulite, removing dead skin cells and moisturising the skin.
- 1/4 cup or 60 ml coconut oil, almond or Vitamin E oil
- 1/2 cup or 125 ml ground coffee beans
- 1/4 cup or 60 ml brown sugar
- 1/4 cup or 60 ml coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5-10 drops of your favourite essential oil (optional)
1. Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl until well combined.
2 Store in a mason jar or other airtight container when not in use.
3. Use on face or body, ideal for DIY manicures and pedicures.